Havelock North Walking Heritage Trail
In 1854 John Chambers built a small cottage for his family on a block of land which he leased from Kurupo Te Moananui. This was the first European house on the Heretaunga Plains. Six years later, in 1860, town sections were surveyed and pegged out on Karanema's Reserve, a block of land lying between the then Ngaruroro River (now Karamu Stream) - and the western slopes of the Te Mata hills. From a central hub six roads radiated to connect with strategic points around the compass. This hub is today the roundabout. Thus started the development of Havelock; later to be renamed Havelock North to avoid confusion with the South Island town of the same name.
There were a number of amenities that went to make up the typical "Village" in 19th century New Zealand. Some of these were, the hotel, bakery, bank, church, general store, post office, blacksmith, stables, school. All of these elements, and a few more, have been included in the trail.
In the 21st century some of these have disappeared and many new amenities have been introduced to meet the needs of the modern day community. Some of the changes that have taken place are difficult to trace due largely to the fire which destroyed the Lands & Deeds Office during the 1931 Hawke's Bay Earthquake. Accordingly some of the historic details have been passed down by word of mouth and their absolute accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Many of the sites are identified with pavement plaques.
- National Bank (now ANZ Bank)
- Number 13 Middle Road
- Corner Joll Road
- Vicinity of Dairy
- New Shops and Cinema Gold
- Corner of Joll Road and Te Mata Road
- The Mechanics Institute/ Foresters Hall
- Te Mata Road
- St Luke's Anglican Church
- Porter Drive parking precinct (opposite library)
- Havelock North Community Centre
- Ranmore (5 Duart Road)
- Havelock North Village Pools
- St Columba's Presbyterian Church
- Across Porter Drive from St Columba's
- Napier Road
- Danver's Paddock
- Bicycle Shop
- Rose and Shamrock
- Treachers Furniture Shop
- La Postina (corner of Napier and Hastings Roads)
- Corner Te Aute and Havelock Roads
- The Bus Stop and Resthouse
- Car Park behind Tavern
- Anderson Park
The trail is easily walkable in an hour, however it is recommended to allow longer for stops along the way. The trail begins at the National Bank.
The car park at the rear of the Tavern, adjacent to the roundabout, is available for long-term parking. It is suggested you park there before crossing the road to the National Bank where the trail begins.