Central Hawke’s Bay District Council does not need to be advised of your intention to camp (freedom or self-contained) in the below locations, unless it is during a restricted period(Any camping between 16 December - 7 February is by a ballot process).
For all other times, you are welcome to camp in the below locations on a first in, first served basis.
Freedom camping is permitted in the following places:
- Te Paerahi Beach (Porangahau) - In the Council owned ‘free camp’ area situated on the corner of Te Paerahi Street and Puketauhinu Place.
- Pourerere Beach - Where signposted. Any camping between 16 December - 7 February is by a ballot process. Applications open in October.
Note freedom camping is any kind of camping in tents or non-self contained caravans.
- Tommy Ireland Point lookout (Pourerere Beach Road) – Fully certified ‘self contained’ motor homes ONLY for not more than three consecutive nights. A Motorhome Caravan Association (MCA) donation box is at the entrance of Pourerere under the Pourerere Beach Sign if you would like to make a voluntary donation
- Aramoana Beach – Fully certified ‘self contained’ motor homes ONLY are permitted to stay overnight for not more than three consecutive nights, in the clearly signposted area at the end of the public car park area near to the public toilets. Three (3) parks have been allocated for this activity.
- Kairakau Beach - Fully certified ‘self contained’ motor homes ONLY are permitted to stay overnight for not more than three consecutive nights, on the area of grass at the northern end of Kairakau Beach Road (past the new public toilet). The area allowed to be used is clearly signposted. Any other form of camping on any other ‘Council’ land at Kairakau Beach is NOT ALLOWED.
Dump stations for public use in Central Hawke’s Bay
There are currently no self-contained vehicle dump stations for public use in Central Hawke’s Bay.
We apologise for the inconvenience and are working on a long term plan to provide a free public dump station in Central Hawke’s Bay.
In the meantime, the nearest public dump stations are:
- Havelock North, Napier Road
- Clive, BP station, Main Road
- Napier, Marine Parade
- Dannevirke, Caltex service station, High Street
- There is a total fire ban on all beaches in Central Hawke's Bay all year around. There are no exceptions to this.
- Length of stay is not to exceed 7 days.
- Campers must leave the site clean and tidy.
- Camp sites must be set up in such a way as to not interfere with or damage trees, other vegetation such as sand dune plants, or disturb nesting birds in the dunes.
- No permanent structures will be permitted.
- Suitable signs will be erected advising public of areas where camping is permitted and areas where camping is not permitted.
- Dogs are allowed with campers at freedom camping sites BUT they must be kept under strict control at all times. Signposted bylaws regarding dogs on beaches over summer months must also be adhered to. This typically means that dogs cannot be off-lead in certain areas (i.e. around ablution blocks).
Phone +64 6 857 8060 for more information.